Protect America’s Innovation
R&D Tax Change Threatens America's Innovation and Economy
New Data: Taxes on R&D Puts 260K+ Jobs at RiskREAD
What’s Going On…
The challenge: U.S. manufacturers, who drive more innovation than any other sector, face a harmful tax change that will drastically hinder R&D across the industry, threatening thousands of jobs and critical innovation that upholds America’s economy and national security.
What we’re doing about it: The NAM is rallying manufacturers to urge Congress to reverse this harmful change to the tax treatment of R&D, protecting the ability for businesses to deduct 100% of their R&D expenses in the same year. If Congress takes the necessary steps to reverse this tax change, thousands of well-paying jobs and innovation-directed R&D will be saved.
Take action below. Together, we can help to reverse this tax change, encourage R&D investment, support job growth and reinforce the industry’s competitiveness on the world stage.
Keep Us Competitive:
“Protecting R&D” Series: As part of our advocacy, the NAM is highlighting member stories that reinforce the importance of reversing the harmful R&D tax change. Can we share your story? Please contact NAM Senior Director of Tax Policy David Eiselsberg.
- NAM Press Release: Sens. Hassan and Young Reintroduce Crucial R&D Legislation
- Tolmar, Inc: How a Tax Change Could Set Back Cancer Treatment
- Marlin Steel Wire Products: How a Tax Change Will Strangle a Small Manufacturer’s R&D
- Ultragenyx: Ultragenyx Fights for Cures Amid Rising R&D Costs
- International Paper: Why R&D Matters to International Paper
- Parts Life, Inc: How a Manufacturer Uses R&D to Keep Old Jets Flying
- O-I Glass, Inc.: Why Manufacturers Need R&D Tax Certainty
- Corning Incorporated: Corning Confronts R&D Hurdles
- Miltec UV: “We’re Gonna Get Hit Hard”: How an R&D Tax Policy Change Hurts Manufacturers
- Vermeer Corporation (IA): “Vermeer Corporation Speaks Out on R&D Tax Policy“
- Brewer Science (MO): “Why Policymakers Should Support—Not Hinder—R&D“
- The NAM: “Manufacturers Call for Repeal of Anti-Competitive R&D Tax Policy“
In Washington: The NAM is rallying America’s business community in our direct engagement with congressional leadership on the need to repeal the harmful R&D tax change. Read the NAM’s most recent letters to Congress:
|The NAM’s most recent letter to congressional leadership, with support from more than 400 companies and business organizations, urges for the repeal of the harmful R&D amortization provision in order to ensure that the tax code continues to support innovation. The NAM letter warns that failing to reverse the amortization requirement “will cost well-paying jobs and reduce future innovation-directed R&D.”|
|The NAM’s September letter to members of the Senate Finance Committee and the House Ways and Means Committee reinforces that Congress can provide much-needed certainty by the end of 2022 by reversing the change to the tax treatment of R&D, helping to bolster job creation in U.S. manufacturing and secure the industry’s competitiveness on the world stage.|
Don’t Miss NAM Tax Alerts
Receive real-time updates and timely action opportunities right to your mobile device as part of the NAM’s Competing to WIN campaign.
Text WIN to 52886
Become an NAM Ambassador
Become a leading voice on this issue and let the NAM help elevate your company’s advocacy in our collective effort to reverse this harmful tax change.